29 November 2010

Snow in Ireland and crazy driving habits

We had snow at the weekend.  People are now saying it is cold.  As I look out my nearby window, I see blue skies and sunshine and there is not a polar bear in sight.  So it can't be that cold.  The people sitting inside with their coats on are the ones complaining about the cold.  If they took off their coats they'd actually feel warmer, and feel the benefit of a coat when they went outside.  I had my usual cold breakfast with a cold drink - no tea or coffee for me - and I feel warmer than the people with coats and coffee.

In typical Irish fashion, drivers are either staying at home or creeping along roads that are no worse than an ordinary wet day.  The sight of white seems to do something to people's common sense.  I am not advocating dangerous driving, but slow driving on perfect road causes problems too.  The roads that are in best condition are the ones with cars on them.  So if drivers are worried about the state of the roads, then the more cars that are out there driving on them, the clearer they will be.  The road outside their driveway might be a bit of a problem, but they'll get through it and once they are on the main roads, which in Dublin are never far from anyone, they'll be fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment